Monday, December 5, 2011

Christmas Kickoff! DIY Red Linen Stripe Christmas Stockings

It's time to kickoff a full week of Holiday Decor! Weeee-Hooooo...errr... I mean HO HO HO!!!

 I have been feverishly working on all of our Christmas decorations for the past week (or two?) and I am soooo excited to show it all off!  I thought with all the Holiday Linky Parties going on that I would break up the posts by 'decor' category and have a holiday post each day this week.  So, I hope you're feeling jolly because there is going to be a ho-ho-ho lotta Christmas this week on Hammers and High Heels!
 On Dasher to the first project....

I made our own Christmas Stockings!
I feel so Martha (Stewart) right now! Take a look at my cute striped linen-like stockings...
I love the more rustic/ vintage feel of these stockings compared to our brighter (and fuzzier) stockings we used last year.  I was inspired to make them after finding these vintage linen stockings on Dreamy Whites.
Aren't they beautiful?  I just had to have something like them for our own home, and I they were super easy to make!  I was even able to use some left over linen like fabric that was just sitting by my sewing machine.

Here's how I made them...
I started by tracing the shape of my old stockings onto two layers of the fabric. I did two stockings in the larger size for Alex and I, then two smaller ones for our pups Rocco & Sadie.  Once I had the pattern mapped out, I pinned both layers of fabric together so it would be ready for cutting & sewing.
 Next, I cut out the stocking shapes and they were ready for sewing.
I hopped on my sewing machine (no pictures, sorry!) and sewed along all sides except the top opening.

 Here is a look at the stockings after sewing and ironing.
 Then, it was time to make the red stripe designs!  I used fabric paint, foam brushes, and blue painters tape for this step.
 I lined up the painters tape to create the stripe design on each stocking.  I planned to make one thick stripe on the larger stockings and two thinner stripes on the smaller ones.
I mixed my red fabric paint with a little black paint to make a darker red color that would coordinate with our holiday decor.  Then I used a foam brush and applied the fabric paint to the stockings.
 Fabric painting complete!
Once the paint was dry, I removed the blue painters tape.
Here they are!  Some of the lines weren't perfect, but I think it adds to the rustic/ handcrafted look!
I folded a cuff at the top of the larger stockings and hung them my our mantel.  I even got to use my torn book stack/ stocking holders!!!! 
I am so happy with the character these handmade stockings added to our mantel decor!  Hmmm, are you curious about the rest of the mantel???  I hope so because that is going to be revealed in tomorrow's Holiday Decor post!

Hope to see you again tomorrow!
Make sure you are joining all the great Holiday Linky Parties like these.....

Centsational Girl- December 12th!

The DIY Show Off


3 comments:

  1. HI, Carla

    Great stockings. Love it.

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these, Carla! I've also had my eye on the stockings over at Dreamy Whites. I always love your projects. Can't wait to see what else you do. Oh, BTW, I ordered one of those huge bread boards from Bachmans and it arrived today......LOVE IT! I'm so excited about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job, and great tutorial too. I think I could do this one. Thanks for sharing with the party.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! What's on your mind?