Wednesday, December 7, 2011

A Merry Message Along Our Staircase

Forget the stair banister decorations, I am LOVING the stairs themselves thanks to this merry little message!
After seeing the "T'was the Night Before Christmas" staircase at this year's Holiday Idea House, I knew I had to spruce up our steps with a cute holiday message too!
Their version was made with laminated paper, ribbon, and stencils....
 Hmmm... that sounded somewhat time consuming to me, so I opted to skip stenciling and print out our message on cardstock paper (yep, hit the 'Easy' button).  I started with this vintage french music sheet graphic I found here on The Graphics Fairy
I stretched it a little bit to a 12.5"x 5"size and added our "And Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas Now" text on seven separate sheets to cover the seven middle stairs in our staircase.
After printing and cutting, Alex measured out the the centered placement for each step.

In order to preserve the paint, we used 3M Command Adhesive Poster Strips opposed to regular tape to adhere the paper to each riser (at least we hope they work as well as they say in commercials we'll be re-painting them in January).
I also decorated our banister.  Instead of green garland, I used dark red velvet ribbon with gold and bronze ornaments.
I also added in gold and natural branches with a few snow covered pine cones.
The staircase is front and center when you enter our home. So this is what you see when you walk through the door...
Feels fun and merry right away!!!
What do you think? I love that it matches the vintage feel of our mantel as well!

Alas, it still isn't nearly as cool as what we did with our stairs last Christmas (but how the heck can we top that?)!
**********************

Time to link this up! Come join the party!

The DIY Show Off

19 comments:

  1. I just LOVE it! And the other one is cute, but I like yours better. So clever!

    Rachel
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is perfect!! I love it! Oh how I want to rip the carpet off our stairs now and get to work making them gorgeous! Eeeek!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I actually like your version better (the other one looks to me like it is taped to the stairs with duct tape along the sides.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everybody! I guess I have to admit I do like our version better too :) Hehe!

    ~Carla

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun is this?! WE, girls have to decorate it ALL, don't we? I love it!
    Rene

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love this idea! I decorate the risers of my stairs each year for Halloween (http://www.oldtownhome.com/2011/10/27/Its-a-Bird-Its-Another-Bird-Its-my-Halloween-Costume/index.aspx), but it never occured to me to do this for Christmas. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the stairs! What a super-fun and festive idea! Now, I just need to get cracking and redo my carpet-covered stairs... Another project for 2012, right? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow-that is fabulous! i love the words you chose-tori amos does a fabulous version of that song.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did an awesome job. I like yours so much more than the inspiration. I found you over at Centsational Girl and am now your latest follower. I would love for you to stop by and say hi and consider following me back. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this is simply awesome. I spied this at censational girl and had to come on over.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will be featuring your stairs at my Fall into Fall party that opens tonight at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is awesome! Does Graphics Fairly know you did this?? She would sooo feature you?? It ROCKS!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just started following your blog and love this! Did the same on my stairs today and added "hang a shining star upon the highest bough" to the second set of stairs. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just found this idea on pinterest and I LOVE it! Question for you...you mentioned that you "stretched" the French music sheet graphic and then added the text "And have yourself a Merry little Christmas now." How exactly did you do this? Did you copy and paste the graphic sheet to a word document? How did you add text over the music sheet graphic? Forgive me...I am not tech savy so I need some guidance on how to create these sheets so that I can print and cut them. Thanks so much! -Noelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used Illustrator to make it, but you might be able to do it in Microsoft PowerPoint? I think you could stretch the sheet music as a background and then type over it. Hope that might work, good luck!

      Delete
    2. Thanks a bunch! I'm going to try to figure this out. Did you laminate them so they would last longer? -Noelle

      Delete
  15. Can anyone tell me what font was used. I love it but can't seem to find it. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe I used something like Lucida Blackletter for the font, but it's been a while so not 100% sure, I think my fonts have been updated since then but that font has a similar look!

      Delete

I love to hear from you! What's on your mind?