Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Scrap That

Ugh. I made a poor choice. 
Alex was gone over the weekend for a bike race in Michigan.  Just like the last time he was out of town, I thought it would be fantastic to paint while he was gone.  You know, because then it is kind of like a surprise for when he gets back.  Sadly this time it was a BAD surprise.

I chose to paint the Vestibule since it was our latest little project space.  Alex knew I was thinking of a darker paint color to contrast the white beadboard, but I wouldn't share what it was.  I *thought*  a really dark navy blue would look nice, but once it started going up it looked more like Cookie Monster blue than a rich dark navy blue....
 I even did 3 coats and it just wasn't looking right at all :( Additionally, I chose a high gloss paint after I read that higher gloss or lacquer paint would help the space feel bigger/lighter because of the reflective surface.  Here's an example of what I mean...
It's interesting right?  But I guess better suited for newer homes or fancier ones.  Ugh, all it did for us was HIGHLIGHT any little surface imperfection- and our old 1924 home has a lot of them, even in such a little space! 

When Alex got home the next day to see it, the blank look on his face said it all.  You know, it's that look of 'that looks really bad but I don't know if I should say it because my wife might explode with anger or worse, burst into tears'.  
 I let him off the hook and said it for him, "Yep, it looks like crap, I know. Let's look for a more suitable paint color and finish."  It'd be just wrong for to keep the Cookie Monster in the vegetable Vestibule. So that's where we are now.

 The part that stings the most for me is the time I put into working on it.  Even with a little space it's not just the painting, but the sanding, the paint prep, the clean-up, etc.  It is a long process!   I cherish my weekends because I get to put the most time into my projects Saturday to Sunday and keep my Monday-Friday focused on work and fitting in a few blog posts. Ugh!  Just feels like I lost a weekend.

Well, at least I admitted that frustration and should just move on from it. You know blog writing can sometimes be good therapy :)
Can anyone else sympathize with me over a failed project too?
Do you have a dark paint color suggestion to replace the blue Cookie Monster color?

17 comments:

  1. I did high gloss red - like a really bright red. 5 coats. I lived with it for 2 years (since it was in a guest bedroom)... Finally I had to give up - 3 coats of paint and primer later it is gone. I swear that the room shrunk 3 inches from all the paint!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey at least you tried it and now you know what you don't like. :) And you don't have to live with the what if it would have looked good and I never tried it feeling. I love that you are wanting to go dark in there; I've seen that style a lot lately around the internets and it very pretty. I don't know if this will help you out at all but Chris and Julia recently went dark in their living room and it seems to be a very pretty shade of dark.
    http://www.chrislovesjulia.com/2012/10/our-dark-diyed-wainscoting-reveal.html
    Good luck! I can't wait to see what you decide and what you wind up with!!! I'm sure what ever you chose will be lovely, you've got great taste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo, thanks for passing that along, I love that paint color! I will have to look it up, I haven't heard of that brand before.

      Delete
  3. I have definitely had my fair share of failed projects, so I know your frustration completely! Luckily I haven't had the issue of paint on walls yet... I have gotten really lucky! My mom is a freak though and will test 10 shades until she finds the perfect one. Your story has inspired me to test all paint shades in the future. I'm sure when you find that right navy it will look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! We tested paint in our master bedroom and I should have done it this time, ugh!

      Delete
  4. I don't think it looks that bad, but I'm just looking at photography.
    I once painted my bedroom midnight blue, which is very dark.. looks almost black in photos. But I don't think I'd paint a living room that color. GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness Carla, I can't count how many times this has happened to me! You don't want to know how much money and time I've wasted on poor paint choices. We've all been there! Live and learn I guess! Looking forward to seeing what color you decide to paint with! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diana, I might look through your house pics for some inspiration. You always pick nice shades!

      Delete
  6. I am sorry you were not happy, after so much work! But, it can be fixed, not the end of the world. I have had too many failures to even list. One that comes to mind was not really a project, but many years ago I decided to move the piano to another room. By myself. When I was alone. Down a hallway with a bend. It got stuck. I was trapped in the hallway for hours. My husband was not pleased. I can laugh about it now, but it was NOT funny at the time. Incidentally, I thought your vestibule looked great, I like the dark color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trapped by piano?!? That is terrible! But yes is does sound like a funny story now :) thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  7. We've all been there, don't beat yourself up over it :0) One of my favorite colors that I've painted everywhere I've stayed is a slate blue - it's simply elegant, beautiful & peaceful. Also, I'd use flat to hide the imperfections, but it also makes the surface look softer. It's always a trial painting really dark colors, but a win when it works! Good luck, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know of anyone who hasn't regretted a color choice at least ONCE! I have a huge master suite that has been REpainted twice before I realized that due to light & textile differences, the bath, bed, & sitting rooms all needed different shades.
    I have had great results with BMW Old Navy(2063-10) and BMW Hale Navy(HC-154). The darker colors also are much more 'forgiving' of wall flaws in eggshell finish. I have a front door done in hi gloss deep red that I had done by a PRO. He painstakingly applied 5 coats over tinted primer. He gave me the eggshell tip for DIYers using deep, shades.
    I look forward to seeing your finished project :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think a really dark brown or paper sack color would look very classy with white woodwork. Don't know if it goes with the rest of your house though. We have it in our den and it is very warm and inviting. Good luck, can't wait to see what you end up with. Liz

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used BM Ashland Slate in my son's room and LOVE it - it has a bit of purple in it, so anything red against it really pops. A great color!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thats Exactly the blue paint I am looking for what did you use???

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! What's on your mind?