Thursday, January 31, 2013

Our Completed Kitchen Makeover! Before & Afters of Our New Countertops and Sink!

Our latest kitchen update is complete!  The new countertops, backsplash, sink and faucet are all up & running! 

Get ready for some 'before' and 'after' photo action!!!  Here's where we started soooo long ago...

... and how things are looking now!  I can't believe how far the space has come along, I'm so in love! 

Our project started about a month ago when we realized we had to ditch the old sink and laminate countertops once and for all.

We had been dreaming of adding butcher block countertops and an apron sink since we bought the house. 
So we spent a wonderful evening gathering the Numerar countertops and Domsjo sink from Ikea.  Then picked up our faucet and other project supplies from Home Depot.

After we got everything home the fun began when Alex started tearing up the kitchen.

It was very exciting but it was rough being without a kitchen sink for four days.  Alex had to use that time to cut and install the wood countertops.

Once those were installed, Alex completed the "oiling & lotioning" step as we like to call it.


Ugh!  I'm so in love with the new tile!  I didn't even know Alex was going to add it next to the oven (where we had the faux vintage plastic tiles before), it was such a nice surprise! 

The white tiles just look so crisp and clean!


So here's how everything turned out!

To quote Outkast it just looks "so fresh and clean" right?!?!   Haha, just kidding but the song keeps coming to mind when I look at these pictures.  I'm so happy with how this DIY redo project turned out!

The kitchen countertops and sink were the last big things that we wanted to fix on the main floor of our house.  The laminate always felt like it screamed "I need to be replaced" and now with the butcher block it just looks fresh and updated.  I finally feel like our kitchen is a space we can be proud of!

So, what do you think of the new look in our kitchen?

What new decor elements should I add to compliment the new look?

Click here to see all of our Kitchen & Nook project posts

21 comments:

  1. It's absolutely gorgeous! You guys have great taste and your husband is so talented to be able to pull off all that finish work! Well done on all parts! Including picking the talented husband!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Megan! I think the look fits us well! And funny I picked my hubby because he made me laugh, I had no idea he was so handy! Bonus :) let me know if you think of any decor ideas too!

      Delete
  2. What a difference. Great work doing it yourselves. Of course the sink and subway tile look fab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It always feels like a big accomplishment when you do the work yourself... But yes rough when you don't have a working kitchen for a while, LOL! Thanks for the nice words!

      Delete
  3. Nice picture of Alex on the can at Ikea. ;)

    I love everything about your remodel! You guys are theeee most talented couple I've met.

    Let's be in touch about thrifting this weekend. I am still driving around with the table I bought last week. I want to show it to you and hear your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Lauren! Yes, I forgot to text you back, so sorry! Want to thrift tomorrow noon or early afternoon-ish? I want to see that table!!!! I'd love to share thoughts!

      Delete
  4. Awesome Job!! I love following your blog. My husband and I bought a 1870s farmhouse and redid our counters and sink with the same exact counters and sink from Ikea this summer. We purchased the subway tile months ago and your blog inspired us to get our backsplash finished. LOVE LOVE your kitchen.... Where did you get the metal insert in the sink? Keep posting, love following!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dawn! Thanks for much for reading our blog!!! I bet your kitchen is amazing, I am (finally) loving the look of ours too! Isn't that subway tile just beautiful! I am so glad we added that in too, glad we inspired you to finish it as well :) We got that metal shelf/strainer thing at Ikea, they sell it by the sinks. Alex really wanted it and it is actually quite useful for food or dishes and I love that we can hang a little towel from it! You should get one, I think it was like $20 and was made for that sink. Thanks again for reading our blog, I love hearing that people like it, makes me smile :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks!!! I'll add the strainer to our Ikea shopping list. I wish we lived closer than a 2 hour drive. We are in Michigan and its a long drive to visit Ikea, when we venture that way we make a day out of it. (And spend too much $$$) ;)

      Delete
  5. Why does Alex have to be so Goddam handy??!! Hey! You're making us look stupid out here, bear! (AnchorMan reference, anybody?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hello cousin :) Alex is handy but has learned a lot just by doing our projects too! We love a good Anchorman reference too :) I'd love to get out to Buffalo someday to meet Harper!

      Delete
  6. Absolutely amazing!!! You and your hubby did a great job. The sink is to die for. Found your blog a few weeks ago and just love it. Great job on the blog and your house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claudia! So glad you found our blog! Thanks for the nice words too, hope you'll keep stopping by :)

      Delete
  7. I'm in love with your counters and apron fronted sink!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great! Random question : where did you buy your adjustable sink dish drying rack?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is actually from Ikea and is an accessory for the sink, it isn't adjustable really but I think it might easily fit in other sinks too?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this! We're renting, so a change like this isn't in our near future (boo), but I've been alternating between wanting butcher block and concrete countertops for years now! Yours looks fantastic, and the sink looks great!
    I found your blog through your mantel project--that's also one I'd love to tackle if we owned!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the look. Great job!!! Where is a great place to get butcher block? Is it pricey? I would love to do this too. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got ours at Ikea, it is pretty reasonably priced there and they have all the accessories you need to care for it!

      Delete

I love to hear from you! What's on your mind?