Friday, April 18, 2014

Five Year Refresh Week #3: The Dining Room

Ready for room #3 in our Five Year Refresh Week?  Let's take a fresh look at the Dining Room from a whole new angle!
Did you catch my Sadie pupper in that photo?! She's stealthy and adorable!
The 'new angle' part is because I don't think I've ever shown a photo of our house from this corner of the dining room looking into the living room and kitchen.  Gives you a new viewpoint on the layout of our house right?  Aside from the new view though, the dining room itself is looking quite different from before!

After we finished up the new look in the kitchen we had to make some changes so that the two rooms flowed together well.  Here's a reminder of how it looked the last time we shared photos of it....
Still fresher and nicer than the previous red paint look, but it still needed a cleaner, simple, slightly more modern touch to match the new look and feel in the kitchen.

So, I made a few changes and I think this style fits us much better now...

Some of the changes you might have caught are the new dining chairs, barstools, and some wall art.  We had been getting a little tired of our dining room table & chairs, but instead of getting a whole new set we decided to get two new chairs (Ikea Nils chair $79.00) for each end of the table to give it a little bit of a new look.
I draped two cowhide skins over the end chairs to add in touch of pattern (and fun?!)
We decided to add barstools (Ikea Franklin barstool $39.99)  as well by the dividing wall to the kitchen because whenever we have guests we seem to gather around there (our Superbowl party is a good example)...
The tough part is that the dividing wall used to be a whole wall with upper kitchen cabinets and it was opened at some point by a previous owner and were were unable to lower the height of that top counter top due to electrical wiring inside the wall (which is maybe why that previous owner kept it at the height?).
So, it is slightly higher than typical bar height but we've been using those two stools like crazy... why the heck did we wait five years to get them?!?!

What do you think of our updated Dining Room space? 
Do you think the looks pairs better with the new look in our kitchen?
What about using new end chairs at the dining table to give it a newer look without a whole new set?

***********************

If you missed any posts from my Five Year Refresh Week, click the links to see room #1 The Living Room and room #2 the Vestibule 

5 comments:

  1. I love the changes - I think it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the angle of that photo that shows the kitchen, dining, and living room all in one shot. I never realized that was the layout of your home before! And now I'm dying of curiosity, what is behind that skinny white door in your dining room? It looks like a thin wall partition between the kitchen and dining room, but then there's a door. Is it a storage closet? And then around the corner there's a much smaller white door halfway up the wall? I love the quirks and unique features of old homes. If you don't mind sharing, what do you use those small spaces to store?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dayna! So glad you posted this comment, that is a great question! I can't believe I haven't shared at least the laundry chute yet, it is quirky and fun! I will get started on a post, thanks for the great idea!

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for responding! We spend a few weeks traveling through Europe (thanks for the tips from your vacation last summer!) and I'm just now catching up on my blog reading! So thrilled to see you feature my comment :) and to see what's behind those doors! I never guessed laundry chute, but it makes perfect sense now! - Dayna W

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! What's on your mind?