Saturday, September 13, 2014

An Old Street Sign to Remember a Special Place

Don't you love when you are in the right place at the right time?

That happened to me earlier today during a walk with the dogs when I happened to stumble upon a couple city workers that were taking down old street signs and putting up new ones.  Being the neighborhood history nerd (posts on our house history and neighborhood history) and weirdo in general that I am, I had to bother ask them, "Excuse me, what do you do with the old street signs?" and one of the workers replied with, "Do you want one?" and the other began taking apart the old sign to give to me.
This little random moment totally made my day!  

Even though it was probably TMI I told them, "My husband and I live in the first home we've ever owned on this street, so thank you, it's special to have."  I kind that might have brightened up their day a little too?  Then, with the street sign in hand I walked home grinning like an idiot :)
Maybe it seems silly to be this excited over a street sign but I'm thankful to have this sign that marks the place that became our very first home together (you know I am also a weird overly sentimental person too right?).  Whether we are here for another year, ten, or twenty-five, this home and neighborhood will always hold a special place in my heart.  Ahhh, aren't you feeling all warm and fuzzy inside too?!

Where would you put it or what would you do with it?  
Would you have asked for a sign too? 
Does anyone in Minneapolis know how old the streets signs were that just got replaced?

I don't think we can really display it anywhere since most of our walls have windows breaking up the amount of space we could place it on so I'm not really sure what or if we will do anything with it.  If you have ideas let me know!

4 comments:

  1. I have one from where my family came from in upstate NY and it hangs in my garage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should totally hit up Pinterest and research things to do with road signs. I've seen folks make benches, tables, flower pots, etc. with them! Have fun! Great find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have loved getting one for my son's room (his name is Vincent!). Lucky you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, small world: we're neighbors!

    I started reading your blog a few months back. This summer, my husband and I bought and renovated an old tudor on your street.

    Keep up the great work with your blog. Love seeing your design ideas to make NoMi more stylish.

    Lorna

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! What's on your mind?