Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Saturday's Epic Ikea Adventure

I spent this past weekend finishing up the deck decor according to my original plan.  I set up our deck lights, sewed a few outdoor pillows, and got some pretty plants for our planters! But even with all of that checked off, I was still stuck on the idea of having a vertical planter before I could call this deck-orating project done

Thankfully, the new Ikea catalog had just arrived at our house full of fresh fancy Swedish ideas!  I thumbed through and I found just what I needed to easily make my own version of a vertical garden!  So, I went there Saturday morning to purchase the actual Applaro Wall Panel for $39.99 thinking the price wasn't too bad at all... And yes, I ventured out knowing Saturday morning is the worst time to go but I was mentally prepared for the craziness.
Mission accepted, game face on Ikea.
Applaro Wall Panel: Ikea $39.99; with shelves $59.99
 Little did I realize, my quest for the Applaro Wall Panel would be more complicated than anticipated. It all went down kind of like this...  (read the rest with an old English/ Scottish type accent or whatever)
I began my journey through the maze-like showroom dodging flatbed carts, strollers, and the ever-so annoying casual unfocused wanderer. I stealthy swooped past Living Rooms, Shelving, Sinks, and Countertops. Alas I had spotted my mark in Dining then tucked and rolled under tables to get in position to write down my secret bin # code. Success! To the maze exit!!!  I glided through Bedrooms with ease sneaking closely along the wall of night tables. With the end in sight, I was met with the most worthy of adversaries as I reached Kid's Rooms.  Droves of small children and back to school shoppers headed toward me, moving against the natural flow of Ikea.  I trudged forward with all of my strength as though swimming against a strong current. At last!  With a deep sigh of relief, I headed down the staircase into the Marketplace to retrieve my prize.
With my code in hand, I followed the treasure warehouse map to find the location of my prize.  I smiled with delight as I laid my eyes upon the Applaro Wall Panel.  Using all my muscle and a nice manly grunt, I hoisted the flat-packed prize onto my cart. "At last, you are mine!"
I rounded the corner with my prize in hand, certain to find victory in a matter of moments. Unfortunately the beast that is Ikea had different plans, for there towering over me like a beast of mythical proportions were hoards of "patrons" numbering in the hundreds with only one clear intention - stopping me from victory.
Upon seeing this 'beast' standing in my way I willingly accepted defeat declaring, "@#$% THIS!!!"  I set my prize aside and retreated into the open air.  In the end I knew that although this journey was over, I would again someday find the prize I was looking for. 

***** The End *****

Okay, I know that was a bit much :)  I guess this is my way of making light of the whole trip and it not feeling like a complete waste of time, hopefully you found it somewhat entertaining?  I have never seen lines that long at Ikea, ever!  It was B-A-N-A-N-A-S. 


The bright side from not taking home the Applaro panel? Saving that $40.00 and coming up with our own DIY creation!  We've already got a good start...
 Hoping to wrap this up by the end of the week and show you how it turns out.  Stay tuned, errr, I mean...

Until next time (dun, dun, duuuuunnn)

12 comments:

  1. It always seems to be lines like that when I go to Ikea. I tend to avoid it and the Mall, just because parking is such a mess. Meh. Anxious to see your project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually try to avoid it too, or only go on a weekday or night. I should have something to share by Friday!!!!

      Delete
  2. I've never commented, but I've been reading your blog since Layla and Kevin came and helped with your guest bedroom. I live in the cities too, and once we were at ikea on a Saturday afternoon (I know I know), and a FLASH MOB started right before the check out area! I think it's the only time I left ikea without buying anything AND without getting an ice cream cone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I am glad you finally commented :) LOL, just kidding, that seems like so long ago! Our blog was a baby then! Anyway, I love connecting with local readers or other bloggers! I can't believe you saw a flash mob there, I know those are supposed to be cool, but I probably would have been so irritated by it like you said :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for putting a smile on my face this morning. I have never been to an Ikea store (sigh), but maybe I'm not missing out on too much. This account of your Saturday morning visit is a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it did! Ikea is certainly an experience, I guess in a lot of cases a bad one. We are spoiled though to have one so close by that we can make trips for little things often. Maybe I would have more patience if it felt more special?

      Delete
  4. I literally laughed out loud with your reaction to what seemed to be a 40 mile long line. I would have muttered the same exact phrase and maybe added a few other words to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There may have been other words :) I tried to keep it more PG for the post, LOL!

      Delete
  5. Carla: When I need to keep it "clean" with my language but need to express frustration I use the word Fondue. I have used it out on the golf course when my putter fails me. I have garnered a few "wth" looks from my friends but then they get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! "Fondue" I love it! I will try and use that next time when my hubby is around, I think he will die laughing if he hears me say "What the Fondue" or "Fondue this"! Haha! Thanks for the giggle!

      Delete
  6. lol Ikea will do that to you glad you found a different options cant wait to see how it turns out

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, too, am very familiar with that exact IKEA and that line looks INSANE! No way - good call getting out of there. BTW, my 16 year old and I use "What The Fresca" :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! What's on your mind?