Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Before & After Photos of My Entryway Decor Update

YES!  I can check this project off my to-do list! I love that feeling :) 
It's been a few weeks since Alex updated our back entryway with beadboard which led to my urge to redecorate... or really I guess decorate since it looked empty & bland before.  Take a look at the space now!
The last addition to the space was a new wall mirror.  Most of you agreed in the comments from the beadboard post that we needed a new mirror, badly.  I was happy to find this round gold framed mirror at Home Goods for $29.99. 
 Since I had a black and white kind of theme going on in the space, I wanted to incorporate black somehow with the mirror.  So, instead of just mounting it flush to the wall Alex and I got a black wall hook and chain from Home Depot to hang the mirror from. Both items together cost about $6.00.
 Alex screwed the hook into the wall and attached the chain to both of the triangle hanging hooks on the back of the mirror, then simply hung the mirror on the hook.  Marvelous!!!
 I love how the black chain & hook adds a unique design element to the mirror and coordinates with the theme in the space.  It's just fun right???  Speaking of fun, I have to say the mirror looks sophisticated on our wall... but when Alex got the chain on the mirror and said it was ready to put on the wall I took one glance at it and screamed, "WAIT!  It looks like a big Flavor Flav necklace!!!  I have to wear it!" and so I did...
I couldn't help myself and I've been saying "Yeeeeeah Boyeeeee!" for couple days now, haha!

Okay, back to business.  Here's another look at the mirror further back.
Adding the black and white contrast really helped get rid of that blah look from before...
I also love how my DIY West Elm Rug coordinates back to my Smith & Hawken chalkboard basket from Target...
Below is another before and after look at the hooks turned hat/train rack...
 The latest Pottery Barn catalog inspired me to add some decor to the top shelf which ended up coordinating back to the wall mirror nicely.
Now for dramatic effect, here is the space before & after the beadboard update...
And a side by side of then and now...
A bit more detailed and thoughtfully designed right?  The best part is that the cost for this decor update totalled under $50! 
Oh, did you notice that I finally found a way to reunite my DIY Chair Pair?

I might have to show you an update of that little sunroom space if you are interested too?

What do you think of the updated entryway space?
Which DIY update is your favorite?
How have you added storage or updated your entryway?

**************************
Here are the links to all the projects used to update our entryway:

18 comments:

  1. What a difference, and at bargain price, too! I meant to comment on your diamond rug the other day, got busy and didn't, but I love it and it is perfect for this space. Really love the change in the wall rack, especially the hat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra! I am still in LOVE with that rug! At night it is even more interesting since you can't see the rug as much in the dark but only the diamond shape, kind of crazy optical illusion like, makes me love it even more!

      Delete
  2. Love this! I love the visions you have for your rooms when you decorate them. You always know just what you want, and then they turn out perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brooke! But I guess my vision did take almost 2 months, at least I thought about it instead of rushing it I guess? I've found it takes just 1 piece that I love to come up with a theme or the overall inspiration. The stool kind of kicked it off for this project :)

      Delete
  3. I think it looks great and I live how the reunited chair pair bookend the opening. Please wear the mirror on the chain to work tomorrow. I am sure your carpooler will love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dean! If I wear it, you might have to carry it through the skyway at least :)

      Delete
  4. That is awesome Carla, the mirror is lovely and I especially like your idea of how to mount it, it is very clever.

    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is the color on your walls? I love all the black and the mirror is great! I would love to see the sunroom with those cute chairs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Behr's Sandstone Cove, I love that paint color! We were unsure of how it would turn out, hoping for not too white to blend in with the trim, but not too colorful to look like a 'color' you know? Looks like I will have to post about the sunroom too now :)

      Delete
  6. Looks wonderful, and kudos on the cost! My only other suggestion would be to reconsider the switchplates... they look a little bland compared to everything else. I've found it's a detail that makes a big difference. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! I wonder if I can find some that will accent the decor but not look crazy out of place?

      Delete
  7. Looks great! I desperately need a shoe basket! Loving yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks wonderful! The gilded mirror and rug are the perfect finishing bits!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, Boyee! LOL! Love the updates! Mirror is pretty- and I got out my paint to make a rug like yours when I read your tutorial- so cute, and it looks so easy. Just need the time now...

    Thanks for the inspiration and the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Flava Flav! LOVE it!! The mirror looks FAB! The chain was an awesome addition!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just loved looking at your before and after photos, and much of your blog. Right Up my alley, I love it!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! What's on your mind?