Thursday, February 6, 2014

A Kitchen Color Update & Our Year Old Butcher Block Countertops

Hosting our Super Bowl shindig last weekend made Alex and I realize a couple things in our house...

First up-  Our wood countertops.
The day before our party, Alex oiled our butcher block countertops and that made him realize that we've had them for a year now because we debuted them to friends at last year's game.  Back when we shared our kitchen redo 'after' photos, we had a lot of comments regarding our choice to leave them as is and use mineral oil as instructed to care for them instead of doing a Waterlox type seal on them so I thought I'd share an update on how they are looking now.

Alex has oiled them 4 times as recommended through the past year.  It is pretty simple, just apply with a brush, allow an hour to dry, then wipe clean with a dry cloth.  I snapped some pictures of the process when he was in action last Saturday....

They still seem to be holding up well and look just as nice as they did when we installed them.  I'm still quite happy with our choice and continue to love the look in our old little Dutch Colonial.  They just fit perfectly!

Now to the second thing we realized-  The kitchen needs a new paint job.
Do you remember that paint job we finished in the Dining Room last October???

Well, yea.... that paint job should be continuing into the kitchen and we better get on finishing that up!  This whole taped-off blunt paint line is a bad look (shutter).

I'm pretty sure we have to keep that consistent color along that wall, but I'm wondering if we can incorporate an additional paint tone onto the other walls that compliments the dining room paint color?  Hmmm....

I'd love to know what you would do, if you have ideas please let me know in the comments!!!

I'm going to start pinning some ideas :)  I'll let you know what I'm leaning toward before I buy the paint!  Be sure to let me know if you have ideas or suggestions!

3 comments:

  1. How did you clean the surface before the new coats of mineral oil?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara! We used warm water and a light soap, it is what they recommend on Ikea's mineral oil can and the countertop care method instructions. We did that as needed, then drying with a towel of course followed up with the mineral oil treatment periodically as mentioned in the post throughout the year. Let us know if you have more questions!

      Delete

I love to hear from you! What's on your mind?