Friday, June 28, 2013

Head Over Heels DIY Friday: One Room, Three Ways

For this week's DIY, I was inspired by Layla's One Room, Three Ways post over at The Lettered Cottage and thought the Dining Room would be fun to use for the challenge!  Afterall, we've revamped the space in stages, so it's fun to see the different looks as it evolved and who knows how long it'll be until I start itching for a fresh look.  Gotta keep dreaming right?!?

So, here's the room in three different looks- two actual looks and one faux photoshopped look of a whole new scheme I had been pondering about...
I have to say, it was pretty fun to compare the three looks side-by-side and for fun I guess I could say it's One Room, Four Ways if you count the very, very "before" look of the space when we moved in...
From there, we added fresh paint (Behr's Sequoia Grove), a sideboard from Ikea, new pendant light fixture, and my DIY Numbered Chair Covers (click here for the tutorial to make your own!).
About two years later, we grew tired of the look and thought it was missing something.  It needed some depth/dimension and character, so Alex added in wainscoting to freshen up the space. 
Ahhh!  It did look fresher, brighter, and it certainly added some character that it lacked with the plain flat painted walls.  From there, I've only changed up the table and sideboard decor but that is how the space has remained for the most part. 

I guess the only question I have about the newest look was "where did the chair covers go?" and I still have them but I don't always keep them on since the leather is much easier to care for when it comes to the day-to-day.  But I do admit that when I look back at the photos, they do look nice and maybe I should keep them on the chairs more often?  They do brighten up the look of our dining room and give it a unique look...

So for my dreamed-up third dining room version I started there, then wondered how a lighter paint color would look, and a new light fixture.  Wowzers!  It had a whole different vibe and I kinda love it!
When I look at all the looks side-by-side, I really do love the idea of completely revamping the space (again) but I still love the warmth of the red-ish paint tone in our dining space.  Perhaps it's because in the summer I want things lighter and brighter but I don't think I'm ready to commit to a new color just yet. 
I will say, this photoshopped image makes me want a new light fixture and right now.  I loved that pendant light when we bought four and a half years ago but I'm not loving it as much now.  Who knew it'd look so blah after just 4.5 years, or maybe I just love the look of that drum shade pendant light a whole lot more right now?  I know we don't need it, so if you have recommendations for a place to buy a drum shade light fixture at a reasonable price please let me know! 
Which Dining Room look are you Head Over Heels for?
Where can I find a nice drum shade light fixture at a good price?

Hope everyone has a great weekend, I know we will with my sister, brother-in-law, and (almost) 1 year old niece here for a visit!!!  I'm sure I'll have lots of cute pics to share with you later!  Now, time to link this post up over at The Lettered Cottage "One Room, Three Ways" Linky Party!

3 comments:

  1. You can DIY!! Pendant lights are EASY!! Check Pinterest, there's tons of ideas!! I can't wait to see what you come up with (and by the way, I LOVE the blue)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. West Elm has lighting on-sale, now. I saw some drum shade pendants in their clearance area yesterday in Edina.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love love love the old light fixture! Maybe you can find it a new home in another room of your gorgeous abode? The wainscoting is simply lovely:) I hate to be a parade-rainer, but I love the old color and look:):)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! What's on your mind?