Thursday, February 13, 2014

Kitchen Paint Project: Planning & Color Ideas

With our kitchen color update next up on our project list, I started pulling together images of my favorite color choices.  I've also learned that it helps to have a visual in order to explain my idea/plan to Alex :) and you can let me know what you think too!

As you can see, I'm leaning toward the black and white type of look for the most part otherwise keeping lighter brighter and still neutral similar to the look of our dining room....

I guess I just worry if it's all light, bright, and neutral (same paint color from dining room into the kitchen), it might just look too boring or washed out or like we're in an apartment that we can't add color to?  What do you think?

If we got the black and white route, I think our black would be more of a very dark gray and we'd keep our kitchen cabinets white- I shared those darker cabinet pics and said "Oooo want to repaint our cabinets a darker color like this???" and Alex replied with a polite "Hell no."  Maybe I'll save that idea for our next house?!

Anyway, I guess that is where I'm leaning toward right now.  The tricky part is that we probably have to continue the same color along the wall leading from the dining room into the kitchen- Right?  It'd be weird to have a blunt taped off color transition?
I think that is an interior design rule, and I haven't found any photo evidence of this being done in a tasteful way but I could be wrong.   Please help me figure that one out if you can!

If that wall in the kitchen remains the same as the dining room I'd love to do a darker color on the wall it meets with...  Or the kitchen could just be that color throughout and we could do a darker color in the kitchen nook and in the alcove where the oven sits perhaps????  What do you think?

My brain has been bouncing between options so I'd love to hear if you have any ideas or suggestions!  Again, also let me know about that taped-off paint line thing- Is that a rule or not a rule?  It just looks funny to me right now since I've been looking at where we stopped from the last paint project but who knows, maybe there is a tasteful way to do that?

Hope everyone has had a nice week so far!  Oh, is it just me or did Valentine's Day sneak up awfully fast?  I better get a card  I'm looking forward to a nice dinner with Alex, anyone else doing something special to celebrate too?

12 comments:

  1. I am a renter with a totally lenient landlord. That being said, I also have a design/merchandising degree. I have for years kept my houses in a taupe/white/black color scheme. It is more restful for me not to have my attention constantly drawn to colors, and I DO love color, probably too much! The exception in my neutral palette has been my kitchen, which has been a rich blood red since 2007. So, as you may have guessed, I'm tiring of it. One day on Food network I randomly saw a vibrant purple on a kitchen wall and knew I HAD to have it! Try as I might, I couldn't get either a screen shot or an answer to my questions about what the color/company was. I have found substitutes, but somehow none were perfect and I think "the bloom is off the rose" and I have changed my mind in the struggle. In Walmart one day while looking at their swatches, I saw a new line of 6 premixed colors, ready to go! My favorite neutrals were there, as well as my soon-to-be former red... But there it was, simple, plain, beautiful... Onyx Black! Now, it won't work for everyone, but I have white ceiling, floor and appliances, blond cabinets

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about leaving off mid-sentence- did I go over my limit? To wrap it up, I looked online for the inspiration photo on the Glidden To Go Walmart display strip and never found it, but I found other black walled kitchens, some painted with chalkboard paint! Again, this wouldn't work in many kitchens, but if your open wall space is limited and is offset with plenty of light colors and finishes (maybe even some mirror? My backsplash is 12x12 mirrored tile...) it could work for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the ideas Kathryn! I think I do like the look/color that chalkboard paint has, but I want to find it without the chalkboard functionality. Since we have that in a bathroom and we have a chalkboard in the Kitchen Nook we're probably max-ed out with chalkboards :) We're still debating on an accent color though, Alex doesn't think the darker color will go with the room well but we'll see? At least I know that I get to make the final call :)

      Delete
  3. I think you do need something along that paint line to transition the colors. I might rip a porch spindle long ways and mount it on the wall ( I know that's probably not your style, but you get the idea) Or put up a long narrow chalkboard or something there....

    ReplyDelete
  4. It doesn't matter if it is a rule or not, if you both love it, go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I should forget the rules, especially when I don't even know if it is a rule, LOL!

      Delete
  5. I think I would paint it the same color as your dining room so that it all flows together. Then the other 3 walls in your kitchen could be your second paint color. Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it would look odd to change paint color without something on the wall at the demarcation line. My first impulse in your kitchen would be to continue the subway tile up that wall. But I don't remember what the rest of that wall looks like, so I'm not sure if that would work. However, you're creative enough to come up with something else to hang there. Maybe a spice cabinet, or shelves with sides instead of the ones you have there -- just something purposeful that defines where the color change would be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm thinking about your "to continue the color, or not continue the color" dilemma, and I wonder if you could put a piece of molding there to define the room switch? Or I think someone else mentioned hang something there so you don't really notice the actual line. I'm sure it would look nice to keep the colors the same, BUT I'm all about painting rooms different colors so they look separate. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we are going to go with the same color along the wall for sure! Still want to work in an accent color but haven't found the right one yet, ugh!

      Delete
  8. I would run a piece of white trim up and over to that box thing on the wall to match the chair rail in the other room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good call, we decided to just stick with that color along the wall for now though. I think we're going to be happiest in the end with it that way? We'll see!

      Delete

I love to hear from you! What's on your mind?