Monday, January 16, 2012

Wainscotting Wins! Following Up with Holly & Brian's Mudroom Project

Back in December I shared an entryway project that my sister Holly and her hubby Brian have in the works. Out of the three options Brian drew up, everyone really responded to....    
 Option #2 in the comments
Wainscoting and a Dark Stained Bench 
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

Brian also wondered if instead of cubbies for baskets, should they build a bench with a cover that opens for storage?
I thought that was a cool idea that might give them more storage than the baskets would. 
What do you think?

Also, here is a look in the opposite direction at the cabinet they were concerned about (along with their Pomeranian's poofy tail, Lola must have wanted some of Rocco and Sadie's spotlight).
Brian drew up what the wainscoting would look like over in this corner with the cabinets to get a better idea of how it would turn out.
What do you think? 
Do you like the wainscoting all around?
Or would you leave it off the wall with the cabinets?
Or would that be weird?

Really, let us know what you think!  Makes this whole blogging thing fun, ya know!

PS- You can now follow us by email!  I added that feature mid-way down our right sidebar if you are interested!

8 comments:

  1. FWIW, I like it with the cabinets, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow loving this blog! I may be buying an old home that needs a LOT of work to it soon. So this is great inspiration!!

    M x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would carry it on the cabinet wall - I think it makes it look more cohesive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OO. I like the idea of it opening for storage. Also, if they plan on growing their family while living in that house, being able to just throw children's shoes in there to keep them out of sight might be useful. :)

    I would put the wainscoting all around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No to the storage under a liftable lid. You will have to unload it everytime you want to use it. I dont think the wainscoting is necessary, while it looks good beside the door it over whelms the rest of the area. I think the window with hooks will be more serviceable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To the Anonymous from 7:12pm, the lid part would be like a trunk, maybe I didn't explain it very clearly? I love storage trunks! They hide all the stored goods so much better than baskets! Hmmm, we'll have to wait and see what they end up working on, and I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the bench & the wainscotting. I would wrap it all around the room. I like the lift up lid for hidden storage, but I would also do some kind of hooks or baskets above, otherwise it may become a dumping ground. It looks great so far!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it all around! it grounds the space and ties it all together.

    ~ Erin

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! What's on your mind?