Tuesday, November 27, 2012

My $3.00 Chair Gets a Modern Meets Vintage Restyle!

Remember that fantastic antique chair I found for just $3.00?   Well, I got my little redo on it finished up last night!  Here's the exciting 'before' and 'after' action!
When it came to making a decision on an updated look for the chair, I looked back on all the ideas I liked.  The chair was in great shape as is (even that white fabric, isn't that crazy?!?), but I had to make it a little less "from Grandma's house" looking in order to enjoy it in our house.  Additionally, I didn't want to make any huge change that could damage or ruin the chair.  After all it is a nice antique find! 

So, I landed on creating an updated look similar to the two chairs shown in the top right and center in the group below...
Images via One Kings Lane
Which in a nutshell meant making two changes...

First was the wood.  I sanded off the dark stain to expose a lighter toned/raw wood look.  Then we did a light stain and seal on the wood surfaces.
Second, updating the color of the piping.  I wanted the piping to be a faux black leather which seemed like it could be easy, but like most of my projects it wasn't.   I didn't want to tear off the existing self fabric/piping cording (in the spirit of not destroying or altering the antique permanently) so my idea was to cover it.  Here's how I went about it...
I found the faux leather ribbon/cording cover at JoAnne's and used a round upholstery needle to stitch it around the corded piping. 

Let me tell you, it is pretty dang hard to stitch through upholstery cording! I had to use leather gloves or my fingers would have started bleeding!
It might have been a big pain to do it that way, but at least I know I can remove the faux leather ribbon/trim someday if I get tired of the look and the chair will look just as it did before.

Once again, here is the 'before' and 'after' look!
It's a less 'from grandma's house' look right?!?!  I'm loving the black/white contrast now!  I think the freshened up wood and faux leather trim give it a modern meets vintage kind of look. 
Right now it is in a corner of our Living Room, but once I finish up my Dressing Room/Closet I think this chair will add the perfect glamorous touch for my fashionable space!

What do you think of the chair update?

What kind of decorative pillow do you think would look nice with the chair?

Linking this up!

19 comments:

  1. This is amazing, Carla. Once again you've amazed me with your talents. You need to start doing this for a living! PS--I just hung up my cute little J ornament that you gave me last Christmas. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren! I sure wish I could tinker with projects and make a nice living :) someday right?!? Glad you hung up the ornament! Remember Megan's party and my white elephant gift mistake? LOL!

      Delete
  2. Love it! I am sure that black welt was a pain in the you know what, but it makes a world of difference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would have taken me about two years to finish. LOL! I can't believe you did all that piping by hand. Looks completely professional too:) I love the new look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the piping was a pain but I am soooo happy with how it turned out! I kind of can't believe that I was able to do that :)

      Delete
  4. Hi, Carla

    Looks great and what a great deal!

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is lovely! What a lot of work you put in to it, but it was really a steal at $3, and now it looks like it just came out of a designer's showroom. Kudos, that is one fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Carla,

    I know a great shop that would love to sell any of your creations that don't find a spot in your house! I love the chair, the table runner and the faux hawk. You are a busy girl. I hope all is well and you are enjoying the Holidays!. Email me if you ever want to test the waters of selling your creations.

    Kirsten
    P.S. Say hi to everyone for me :-).


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to hear from you, I will definitely send you an email! I'd love to test out selling :)

      Delete
  7. Wow, Love it! I would love to do a photo shoot with that chair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha that would be fun, I actually wanted to put my pup Rocco on it for a photo :)

      Delete
  8. That chair looks fantastic. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, Carla! I love the detail and the blonder wood. Can not believe you found this chair for $3. Score!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that looks so good! Very high end, refreshed and unique! Your blog has such a cheery, warm tone to it always! Always look forward to what you're up to!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea and look. With that fabric you could have gone so many ways. Pink, red, blue or gold. And it looks like it would be great to take a family picture in...I'm going out looking this weekend with a different eye. What an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! What's on your mind?