Thursday, March 29, 2012

Guest Room: "Afters".... Take 4!

This is sooooo long overdue, but our Guest Room is finally in one (beautiful) piece... finally!
The last time we ever mentioned our Guest Room was in this post, written before Thanksgiving last year.  I had promised to show the "newest version" of our Guest Room, post tornado repair. I was wayyyyy off on that timing... I know, bad blogger!  Since then I actually had most of the room set up and decorated but I kept thinking it wasn't complete or that it was missing something.  I finally realized that it won't ever be completely perfect, and by then I will most likely want to change up the whole room (for the 5th time).  Ha!

In case you aren't familiar with our Guest Room 'story', it has actually been changed up 4 times already in the past 3 years.  Let's quick take a look at versions 1, 2, and 3....

Guest Room Redo: Take 1,  Action!
When we first moved in, the Guest Room was pale yellow with white carpet.  We promptly started this redo by removing the icky old carpet and adding a closet door where one didn't exist (just had a curtain hanging).
After that Alex sanded and refinished the wood flooring and we painted the room Behr's Cumberland Fog.  We fit a bed and a couple other pieces of furniture in there and called it good for the time being. 
At least our guests had a place to sleep right? But yes, nothing special about version #1 of our Guest Room.

Guest Room Redo: Take 2, Action!
Alex and I got super lucky when it came to version #2.  Layla and Kevin Palmer of The Lettered Cottage were in Minnesota and looking to redo a room for someone... and we were chosen!  Woo-hoo!
Beautiful right?  I loved all the vintage details and the way they set up everything we picked out while shopping.  The Guest Room certainly came along way with their help!

Guest Room Redo: Take 3, Action!
Version #3 of our Guest Room wasn't very different from what Layla and Kevin did because I loved it so much.  The only little changes were adding those DIY vintage grainsack window shades, a new textured white duvet cover, and I moved the vintage dressform into my dressing room/ sewing space. 

Then, our Guest Room along with our home, neighborhood, and neighbors experienced something totally unexpected that prompted our Redo #4- the May 22nd, 2011 "North Minneapolis" tornado...
  The neighborhood was a complete mess, yuck, I hate looking back at these photos!
Luckily, we were safe and the worst of our damage was having part of our oak tree come through the attic and into our Guest Room...
The whole repair and recovery process took until the end of the year, but thankfully all of this is behind us.  Which leads us to where the room is at today...

Guest Room Redo: Take 4, Action!
 Once the ceiling was all closed up we started putting the room back together.  Since we were starting from scratch we decided to change the way the furniture was set up and add a couple new items including these window sheers from Target and an antique mirror (that we removed some weird flowers from).
Hope you are ready for lots of photos now! 
Here's a look at the whole room now (Shih Tzu not included).  I guess the room is a little more feminine and elegant than the previous version?
Our biggest layout change was moving the bed away from the window and against the longest wall.  I kept the same desk and chair but added in that new antique framed mirror.
I got this vintage framed wall hook from the St. Paul flea market more than a year ago for $18.  Glad it finally has a home in the Guest Room, I just love it!  So unique!
Our main reason for moving the bed against the longest wall was so we could hang that large vintage tin tile above the bed in place of a headboard.
I still can't believe we scored that tile for only $20!  So perfect with our paint color.
I used two old stools from Ikea that we had in our basement as the nightstands on each side.  I covered them with the vintage grainsacks that were formally used for the window shades.  Our fun little creation was drilling a large hole into these old hardcover books and placing a candle in the center. 
Now, I know Fire Marshal Bill wouldn't approve of the book/ candle combo, it's more for a fun little decorative accent :)

The bedding is a combination of Shabby Chic sheets & shams from Target along with....
This chenille bedspread I picked up at a thrift store for $8.00!  My grandma had one just like it in a pink/ white color combination, I couldn't resist! After washing and bleaching it looked fresh and beautiful.  I love the pattern, texture and the little tassels around each side.
For the other wall art, I painted this little canvas that says "Sweet Dreams" and kept the widow's peak above it.
The metal wire charger and vintage grave marker also remained in their old spots.
Lastly,
Did you notice a certain fluffy, curious little cutie-pie sneaking into my Guest Room pictures? Ever since I added that faux sheepskin throw to that window seat, Rocco has made it his little afternoon lounging spot.
  I was pretty shocked when he continued to sit there while I ran to grab the camera since he usually ruins cute photographic moments.  Thankfully, I got a bunch of cute photos of him and I love that he became an accessory for the room, haha!  He matches the color scheme and feel of the room pretty well, right?!?

So that's it! 
What did you think of Guest Room version #4?

My parents are coming for an Easter weekend visit soon, can't wait to get actual Guest feeback then!

********************************

Linking this post up!




21 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I am in love! It's just the right combination of pretty and vintage and elegant and rustic... I just love it. Of course, you had me at "architectural salvage plus vintage chenille" -- I mean, what could possibly be better? Oh yes! A fluffy little ball of happiness! Hee hee!

    ~Angela~

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks great! Love the Chenille bedspread but my favorite is the tin tile as a headboard! so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks great! Love the chenille bedspread and the tin tile as a headboard! so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! The tile above the bed is gorgeous and I love the live airy feel it give.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely love the new guest bedroom! The bedspread is my favorite...as soon as I saw it I thought Grandma had one just like it! Great job. Will you decorate the rooms in our next house?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful...♥ the tin tile (I didn't notice it before in room #3) So glad you found a bed for your Chenille bedspread. I spent last weekend sewing a duvet cover from the one I bought from ebay but mine was 10 X $8.00. Any guest would love to stay in this beautiful room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, that is awesome! Glad we moved the tin tile then, it is certainly showcased now! I'd love to see your duvet cover!

      Delete
  7. All of the rooms looked lovely, but the latest one is without a doubt the very best.. the balance, the angles, the colours and textures are absolutely On Trend as they say, and also it looks so utterly peaceful. a really lovely guest room... If this is what you do for guests, I am dying to see the other bedrooms... fantastic and thanks for sharing... quite a lot to take inspiration from too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks! I think it is the best version now too :) We are in the middle of our Master Bedroom redo, I will have an update post soon. It is a pretty different style than the Guest Room of course- my hubby wouldn't let me make ours too girly :)

      Delete
  8. My favorite part is the bedspread you purchased for $8. My mother had bedspreads like that and I always wanted one and have been checking thrift stores every time I go. Great job on the guest room, mine is still a work in progress, but I am slowly but surely getting there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an absolutely beautiful room! Very relaxing and calming yet so interesting with all the antique finds! I love love love it! And that bedspread is to die for!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love it looks so comfy & cozy and what a great find the bedspread is awesome

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so jealous of how great your guest room looks! All of the versions were great but the finished product is unbeatable! PS I'm a new follower :) Hope you'll head over my way as well! xo

    Champagne Lifestyle on a Beer Budget

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your newly redone guest room is gorgeous! You have done an amazing job on it and hopefully you can forget the terrible thing that happened to it over a year ago.
    I love the light blue and white together, it looks so fresh and clean. And your Rocco is such a darling, how cute that he loves that faux sheepskin.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your little Rocco in the room. So cute!
    I also love the chenille bedspread. What a great deal.
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautifully done. This room is fabulous!

    I am so sorry you experienced that tornado - how scary.

    But I am so glad you came out of it ok - much better than so many.

    Enjoy your Easter with your parents' visit - I know they will love the guest room very much!

    WELL DONE!!

    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks beautiful! I've been following your blog for a while and am so glad you were able to fix everything that happened because of the terrible storm!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My fiance and I just purchased our first home. After 5 sample sizes of paint, I thought I'd never be able to find the right blue for our living room. This post is what convinced me that Behr's Cumberland Fog was "the one." Seeing Cumberland Fog in between our crown molding and white baseboards nearly brought me to tears yesterday. It's perfect! And I have you to thank for that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. How did you hang the large tin tile? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tile had some small holes in the corners, not sure if the holes were always there or if someone drilled them at some point in time but we just used nails and hung it like any kind of wall art or frame. We used 2 nails to make sure the weight had enough support to not fall.

      Delete

I love to hear from you! What's on your mind?