Monday, June 27, 2011

Distressed Bulletin Board Wall Decor

How was everyone's weekend?  Ours seemed a bit busy (hence the lack of posts), but I am excited to show you what I worked on for the Spare Room!  In the last post I showed some of the accessories for the space, but was kind of stumped for ideas for the awkwardly shaped wall behind the Ektorp chair...
I went back and forth about using different sized frames for photos and arranging them in a way that made sense, but it just seemed a bit forced for the weird space.  I kept thinking that I wish I could overlap photos... then a brilliant idea popped into my head!  Why not create a large bulletin board?  Then I could overlap images and pin up any cool pictures or ideas that I am in love with. I can also change it as often as I like!  Totally perfect for this sitting room space nearby my dressing room!

I guess I also kept thinking about that bulletin board I featured in my Burlap Head Over Heels post...
To give you a better idea it might look something like this (fingers crossed!).  But of course cuter with my own photos and artwork.
(looks like a cartoon- ha!)
To get started, I ordered the largest cork board I could find at a low price.  The best deal I found was a 36" x 48" board from the Container Store for $34.99- not too bad considering this thing was pretty huge!
The board looked pretty generic, so I had to add my special touch to make it more special.  I decided to paint it white and add a distressed finish for a vintage look. Believe it or not, this is my first time doing a distressed finish DIY project!  Here we go!

I started by sanding the wood frame into order to rough up the surface for painting.
 After sanding I put on 2 coats of white paint.
Once the paint dried I carefully rough sanded the frame to give it that distressed/ chippy look.
Ooooo, ahhh... it is looking older, loving it!

I just hauled the board back up into the Spare Room for Alex to hang for me.  It came with some special screws and brackets because of it's size. I thought I would leave this for 'the man' to do- otherwise there might be a few extra holes in the wall :)

Here is what I am dreaming up for the board. 
I have some vintage styled maps that I picked up at Posh in Chicago.  I thought I would combine them with some vintage fashion prints and old sewing patterns.  I want the space to have some more color than what I normally do in our house so it feels a little more inspiring and feminine.  I'm also getting a bit more freedom to design the space the way I want since Alex won't be using it as much as me (isn't he sweet?!?).

Anyway, I will be decorating the space and getting it ready for some 'after' photos for later this week!  Yay!  So what do you think?  Do you like the vintage fashion prints?  Any other suggestions for what I should put on the board?  Be sure to let me know if you have ideas!

8 comments:

  1. The maps sound great to me! Can't wait to see the finished product!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas, Carla! I think what you have decided to put on there is perfect. Of course, I love anything vintage. Can't wait to see the finished look! :) I'm still drooling over that chair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! This is going to be lovely. I love bulletin boards. I bought a similar photo board that has those ribbons across it. It sits behind my washing machine and I haven't done anything with it. I am hoping to recover it and do something similar. I want to display fun little momentos from over the years.

    Oh and I was thinking of your HOH posts the other day. I think you should have a little HOH linky party. Maybe wait a couple weeks, get the word out (I will promote on my blog!), and then have everyone link up what they are HOH for too. Maybe this has already crossed your radar, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Hope all is well with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about the covers of old fashion mags? Can't wait for the reveal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the feminine touch by adding the vintage fashion. ~Very ANTHRO with the "Carla Marie Edge!"
    ~(MixInG the sophisticated looks with the very fun casual images, marks your style!)
    ~Lynne
    [w/l]

    ReplyDelete
  6. stumbled upon your blog. love. simply love.

    great style and great posts. thanks for all.
    looking forward to my return trip over here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey, it's me. i'm back. i too have a german shorthaired pointer. you just don't see those dogs very often. love your sadie. we've got homer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love all of the vintage pin-ups! How about including some favorite quotes printed out and a couple of monogram plaques to give it a little 3-D effect. I can't wait to see the finished area....LOVE your blog!!!

    Gloria from Illinois

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! What's on your mind?