Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Kitchen Nook Progress... Slowsky Style

It's time for an update on the action happening in the Kitchen Nook!
I admit, we have been real "Slowskys" with this Nook project which makes me feel a bit guilty.
Note: Alex is the grumpier looking turtle
In case you missed the last post about the Nook (click here for the link), we wanted to add a Hutch to the space in order to gain some more kitchen storage.  The photo below is a look at the Kitchen Nook before we started tinkering with the space. We only had those open corner shelves and a couple shelves under that bar table.
Once we moved the bar table and added in the hutch (which I scored for only $40), we knew we would have to take down those open corner shelves.  It would have looked super goofy keeping them up since one was hidden behind the hutch.
(My apologies for the mess, it happens during the work)

Alex took them both down and patched up the holes where they were hung. PS- if you are local and interested in taking those corner shelves off our hands send me an email! 
After patching, Alex got the walls repainted and looking fresh (we'll cover that in our 'After' post).

Now, for the hutch that was screaming for a makeover...
As I mentioned in the last post, I was SUPER excited about this $40 find but it needed some work.  I tore out those gross fabric shade covers and picked up some glass for the top cabinet doors at North End Hardware.  I highly recommend North End Hardware if you need replacement glass, they cut it for you on the spot!  Total cost for 2 pieces of glass $12.64!
I also got the new cabinet hardware picked out.  I thought stainless steel knobs and drawer pulls would look much more elegant than the plastic white knobs.
That's the update for now.  Sorry, I realize that might have been anticlimactic, but like I said we have been Slowskys.  I think we have narrowed down our choice for the opposite side wall though.  Fingers crossed we can get it all done over the weekend, wish us luck!

  Can't wait to post about the final look!

9 comments:

  1. Looks great. Can't wait to see the final product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a Zaslofsky is a lot more fun than being a Slowsky. But being a Slowsky is still better than being a Nosky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love following your projects, i get such great ideas! Could you possibly share where you got the hutch?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found the hutch randomly while out thrifing at the Salvation Army in NE Minneapolis- that is the best thrift store in all the Twin Cities!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see the final product! I've been a Slowsky on lots of my projects lately, too. I think it's the cold weather. It makes me want to do absolutely nothing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so jealous of some people's thrift store finds! It seems like here in Canada most people know the value of their items and everything is so exorbitantly priced! I love the hutch though! I can't wait to see the final results!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you remember where you found your bar table? If so, would you mind sharing? Also, could the Slowsky's new addition be any cuter?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you should get your turtle doppelgängers to help out!! Put those guys to work - they're slow but they work for food!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  9. slow & steady wins the race its coming along great

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! What's on your mind?